Sharjah: Sharjah Research Technology and Innovation Park (SRTIP) and Sharjah Oasis for Technology and Innovation (SOTI) are set to merge, a decision that has been praised by Sheikha Bodour Al Qasimi, the Chairperson and President of SRTIP. This strategic move is expected to enhance the UAE’s knowledge economy and strengthen its position as a hub for entrepreneurship.
Under the merger, SRTIP will absorb SOTI and combine the organizations’ resources and expertise to form an independent Free Zone Authority (FZA). Consequently, the structure of SRTIP will change to reflect the new FZA’s form and function.
This advancement will further unlock the considerable potential of Sharjah’s technology and innovation sector while cementing UAE’s position as a global destination for business and entrepreneurship.
Since the Ruler of Sharjah Sheikh Dr. Sultan Bin Mohammed Al-Qasimi established SRTIP in 2016 by Emiri decree, it has operated as a ‘triple helix’ collaboration between industry, government and academia with oversight from the American University of Sharjah (AUS) Enterprise Program.
Now, under Emiri Decree No. (9) of 2023, AUS’s oversight will be replaced by an independent Board of Directors, Chaired by Sheikha Bodour Al Qasimi, that will manage and represent the Sharjah Research, Technology and Innovation Park Free Zone Authority.
Sheikha Bodour Al Qasimi stated that, ‘This is a very exciting development for Sharjah. Merging SRTIP and SOTI, and formalizing SRTIP’s role as an independent Free Zone Authority means we can make bigger strides in our mission to support the entrepreneurship ecosystem and develop the knowledge economy in Sharjah and the UAE.”
The new Board of Directors will comprise industry leaders and experienced entrepreneurs with relevant knowledge and experience to guide SRTIP towards its future mission.
- Prince Khaled bin Waleed bin Talal, Founding Chairman, KBW Investments, Founder and CEO of KBW Ventures
- Sheikh Dr. Majid Al Qassimi, Founding Partner of Soma Mater
- Dr. Abdelaziz Saeed Obaid Bin Butti Almheiri, Chairman of the Sharjah Health Authority and Chairman of Sharjah Healthcare City Authority
- Mr. Adel Abdullah Ali, CEO of Air Arabia Group
- Mr. Ahmed Al Qaseer, CEO of Sharjah Investment and Development Authority (Shurooq)
- Ms. Najla Al Midfa, CEO of Sharjah Entrepreneurship Center (Sheraa)
- Mr. Khaled Al Huraimel, CEO of BEEAH Group
- Dr. Aisha Bint Butti Bin Bishr, Vice Chairman of Emaar Development
- Ms. Alisha Moopen, Deputy Managing Director, Aster DM Healthcare
- Mr. Abdulaziz Loughani, CEO of Floward
- Mr. Faizal Kottikollon, Founder and Chairman of KEF Holdings
- Mr. Samer Sayegh, Managing Director of National Paints Factories Co. Ltd.
- Mr. Mudassir Sheikha, Co-Founder and CEO of Careem
To ensure a smooth leadership transition, senior officials from the University of Sharjah, AUS and SRTIP are also invited to join the new Board of Directors, namely:
- Mr. Hamid M.K. Al Naimiy, Chancellor of the University of Sharjah
- Dr. Susan Mumm, Chancellor of American University of Sharjah
- Mr. Hussain Al Mahmoudi, CEO, Sharjah Research, Technology, and Innovation Park (SRTIP)
The four-year membership of the Board will help to establish a clear vision for the long-term growth of the organization. Members will assist in overseeing SRTIP’s day-to-day operations and support the alignment of its strategic goals with the expectations of internal and external stakeholders. They will also work to enhance its global credibility, developing marketing outreach and partnership, and ensuring its long-term sustainability.