Dubai: Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) has called on people to avoid the risk of fire due to misuse of electrical appliances and connections with increasing temperatures in summer or failure to conduct periodic maintenance.
The authority has urged its customers to make use of its smart services as well as the safety tips provided on its website and smart app. Emphasizing the significance of using authentic, high-quality electrical appliances that adhere to safety standards, DEWA advises engaging accredited technicians for installations and maintenance instead of handling electric sources directly.
The public service company has emphasized the seriousness of ensuring the safety of connections, extensions, electrical wires, and plugs, particularly during the summer season. It is essential to ensure that appliances operate within their capacity and are not overloaded. DEWA also highlighted the importance of refraining from connecting multiple devices to electrical supply sources that exceed their capacity limits.
The authority strongly recommends covering wires with appropriate insulation and exercising caution around exposed wires or damaged electrical components. Any damaged parts should be replaced promptly or temporarily covered with insulated tape until a replacement can be arranged. Additionally, customers are urged to avoid running electrical wires through corridors, doors, or windows to maintain a safe living environment.
DEWA provides essential guidelines to safeguard electrical appliances with the following preventive measures:
- Utilize heat-producing devices like irons, water boilers, or electric ovens by directly plugging them in without the use of extension cords.
- Be aware when using electric kettles and ensure sufficient water is present during operation.
- Always disconnect the power source once you have finished using electrical appliances.
- Place electrical appliances in a visible and well-ventilated area, keeping them away from fabrics and curtains.
- Regularly clean appliances to prevent dust accumulation.
- Ensure there is adequate ventilation behind electrical appliances, such as the refrigerator and the wall.
By adhering to these precautions, homeowners can protect their electrical appliances and promote a safe living environment, as per the statement.
DEWA offers a convenient solution for seeking the assistance of skilled technicians for routine maintenance tasks through its smart app’s DEWA Store, where a trustworthy list of technical service providers is readily available to address any internal faults in the building. Additionally, customers can take advantage of exclusive discounts provided at the DEWA Store, further enhancing their service experience.