Abu Dhabi: The United Arab Emirates has a new President in His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan after the Federal Supreme Council unanimously casted their votes for him.
The decision was made at the Council meeting chaired by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai at the Al Mushrif Palace in Abu Dhabi.
Other UAE leaders who attended the session at the Al Mushrif Palace were;
- His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan
- H. Dr. Sheikh Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah
- H. Sheikh Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuaimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Ajman
- H. Sheikh Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Fujairah
- H. Sheikh Saud bin Rashid Al Mu’alla, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Umm Al Qaiwain and
- H. Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Ras Al Khaimah
A DECISION IN UNION
The Ministry of Presidential Affairs released after the gathering revealed that according to Article 51 of the Constitution, His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan was unanimously elected as the President of the UAE to succeed the Late Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
Their Highnesses, the Supreme Council Members and Rulers of the Emirates have reiterated their eagerness to continue implementing the authentic values and principles laid down by the late deceased, Sheikh Khalifa, following on from the founding father, the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan. These have consolidated the UAE’s status at both regional and global levels.
The Federal Supreme Council expressed its full confidence that the people of the UAE will remain, as Sheikh Zayed and the founders believed, “a faithful guardian of the Union and its gains at all levels”.
Their Highnesses wished H.H. Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan success in serving his people and country.
Responding to his selection, Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed expressed his appreciation for the precious trust placed in him by his brothers, Their Highnesses the Supreme Council Members and Rulers of the Emirates, praying to the Almighty to guide and help him to bear the responsibility of this great trust and to fulfil its tasks of serving his country and people.