Abu Dhabi: The Louvre Abu Dhabi has displayed new acquisitions, including three artworks by Pablo Picasso, alongside loans from partner museums and international institutions in its permanent galleries, encouraging cultural exchange and further strengthening Abu Dhabi as a global hub for culture.
The newly exhibited artworks reinforce the museum’s pivotal role as a trusted partner with cultural institutions worldwide, solidifying its position as the first universal museum in the Arab world for global cultural exchange.
Mr. Manuel Rabaté, Director, Louvre Abu Dhabi, commented that “through our valued partnerships and collaborations, and thanks to the generosity of our lending partners, we continue to create a platform for dialogue and understanding, inviting visitors from around the world to embark on a journey of discovery and appreciation of the museum’s growing collection.”
Among the notable additions are the Blue and White Porcelain Dish (China, 1403–1425), the Figure of Surya (Cambodia, 9th century), The Prince of Envy and the Abduction of Concord (Southern Netherlands, probably Tournai, ca. 1530), Les Marionnettes by Jean-Honouré Fragonard (France, 1775–1778), and the Terrestrial Globe by Vincenzo Coronelli (Italy, 1688).
The artworks complement the museum’s narrative, enrich its collection, and serve as windows into different eras, civilizations, and artistic movements, allowing visitors to connect with the richness and beauty of our shared human heritage.
With the support of France Muséums, a selection of extraordinary loans is brought from French museums, including the Musée du Louvre, Musée national des Châteaux de Versailles et de Trianon, Musée du Quai Branly (Jacques Chirac), Musée d’Orsay, Centre Pompidou, Musée national d’art moderne, Musée d’Archéologie Nationale (Saint Germain en Laye), and Musée des Arts décoratifs.
Other prestigious international lenders that Louvre Abu Dhabi is collaborating with for the first time include the National Museum of Archaeology in Valletta, Malta, which lent a remarkable ornamental pillar known as Cippi (ca. 2nd century BCE, Malta), which is displayed next to its pair on loan from the Musée du Louvre (120 BCE, Malta).