Sharjah: Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah, His Highness Dr. Sheikh Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi recently issued Emiri Decree No. (1) of 2022 leading to the Establishment and Organization of Irthi Contemporary Crafts Council (ICCC).
The newly proposed Council which will have its Headquarters in the City of Sharjah, will have the legal personality and full capacity to carry out the legal actions necessary to achieve its goals and exercise its competencies, with its financial, administrative and technical independence.
The ICCC, if required, can establish branches for it in the rest of the cities and regions of the emirate.
TASKS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE COUNCIL
- Supporting, encouraging and empowering professional women economically and socially.
- Creating sustainable initiatives to preserve traditional crafts and enhance its position locally and globally.
- Enhancing the Council’s position as a leading international brand in designing contemporary products using traditional crafts.
- Applying the comprehensive quality specifications and standards approved in the craft sector.
- Documenting contemporary crafts and continuing their modernisation to support, improve, develop and preserve the craft heritage, and
- Preserve the region’s cultural heritage and traditional handicraft skills for the coming generations.
In accordance to the Decree, the Council has the right to exercise a number of different specialisations to ensure that the Council’s objectives are achieved.
The ICCC will be chaired by H.H. Sheikha Jawaher bint Mohammed Al Qasimi, the wife of H.H. the Ruler of Sharjah.
The Board of the Council will be managed by a Director appointed by a decision of the Chairperson, assisted by a sufficient number of employees, and shall exercise a number of competences.
The Decree also stipulated various legal articles that regulate the Council’s work in terms of administrative and financial procedures.